Monday, December 5, 2011

Charles Dickens Calling!

I found something different to do this week. A local library will be having someone come in and read Charles Dickens'  "A Christmas Carol." It contains many Victorian terms that we no longer use today.  In this presentation, historian Chris Hart defines not only these terms but also explores the many hidden meanings in this timeless Yuletide classic.  So, I'm off to learn at the library! 


This weekend I got to visit with a friend who I haven't seen since spring. It was nice to catch up - if only her family would have allowed it! Her oldest daughter, son, and husband all called her and the BF of her DD texted numerous times. Sigh! But, we managed to talk and have a good time. 


Picked out Logan's senior pictures last Friday. Went well but found out they no longer post all the senior pics on their site. :(  I hope this link works - go here to see my boy. We ended up loving this picture the most and I got an 11x14 of it. 


Started making cookies again this morning. Got side tracked last week when I didn't have all the ingredients or any large freezer bags. If I get busy now I could put a second batch of dough in the fridge and bake the Hershey Kiss cookies tonight. That would leave the crimples and chocolate with white chips to do tomorrow. DH wants raisin cookies. Hmm, I've never made them, don't do cut out cookies, and detest raisins. But, he hasn't had any since his grandma died 10 years ago. Well, any using her recipe. Am I feeling nice - yes - but he's going to be here to help. 


I was looking earlier at blogs and realized I haven't posted on Jayne's Up 4 a Challenge blog in ages. Just looked and I did complete 14 of the projects I had listed and did another 4 that I had listed I'd continue to do. But, managed to do tons of others this year. Although my RAK list never got beyond 4 done. Somewhere along the way, I lost my umph on that one! Oops. 


I know it's early but I got to thinking about 2012. I think I would like to work on my large projects next year. Colorful Sky and Birch Forest both by Mystic Stitch (time to dig out those BAPs), One Nation, and maybe my lighthouse. I think next year would be a perfect time to work on these WIPs that have been patiently waiting on me to pick them back up. 


Speaking of stitching - I started another project the other day. It's from A Stitcher's Journey - Come down to  the Sea and stitch with me. Too lazy to go get the correct title. It's probably 3/4 the way done. It may well be my final finish for 2011. It would make me 52 finishes for the year. Hold on - I'm breaking my arm patting myself on the back!


I'm off to stitch I think - must get some chicken out of the freezer for dinner first. Then later cookies! 
Hope today is everything you want it to be. Thanks for stopping by! 
Denise

8 comments:

Lee said...

Great photo of your son! It's so nice to have a face to think of when you tell us about him. What a handsome young man.

Olivia said...

I'm so green over the Dickens reading. It sounds like something I would thoroughly enjoy. Have a great time!

Mouse said...

woo hooo I can read the blog again :) and well done on all the finishes and the ccoooooookkkies yum ...lol
hope you enjoyed the time at the library sounds a fab idea :)
love mouse xxxx

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

I'd think your arm would be sore from patting your back due to the picture of DS.
And 52? REALLY? Thaaaaaat's Niiiiiiice.
oh and if my day was going to be what I want it to be I might just be on my way below the 49th for a bit.
Have a great day Denise and
Be always in stitches.

Lynn said...

I was part of a choir this past weekend that sang carols during a reading of Dicken's Christmas Carol. It was a fundraiser for our local hospitla for new equipment. The readers were all dressed in period costume. It was a lot of fun!

country stitcher said...

You have a very good looking son. Nice senior picture.
Christmas goodies always sound so good.
Wow thats a lot of finishes for the year. You should be giving youself a pat on the back!!!
Happy Stitching
Denise

Shari said...

the picture looks great...I see why you chose that one.
how was the Dickens exhibit? Sounds like a good time.
I still haven't decided what to do for the new year, stitching wise.....oh the choices we have!

Pumpkin said...

Okay, I think you're busier now that you're not working ;o) I'd love to taste some of those cookies right about now. LOL!

I can't believe how many finishes you've had this year! Good for you :o) I'm already planning for 2012 too.