Tuesday, June 21, 2011

And Today's Lesson...

Boys and Girls is pre-planning. Have you ever done this?


See that 'little' problem? Way too much border at the top and not nearly enough at the bottom. Oops! My solution is to sew some muslin on the bottom and frame in close. This is the borders of Birds of a Feather by Homespun Elegance.

Mary Jane and I have discussed our finishes on Dandy Dreams. I'm going to look for some dandelion fabric this week. If I can find it - I'll get enough for us both. And we'll make pillows. But, the truth is -- Dandy will most likely be framed. I thought I pillow might look great in a summer basket. But...

I got lucky at Wal-Mart the other day. Got this frame for $5! And found others for 96 cents. Where is the cents sign on this computer? Is this cents sign a thing of the past? Hmm.. Oh wait, anyway, here's what I threw together.


Quiet proud of the picture I took. Read about lighting and such in the latest Nordic Needle Newsletter Email. Wish all of my photos came out as well. lol

Napping sounds like the choice of activity for the day. Gotta love vacations - no rules! ha

Or, I could go put that muslin on the bottom of Birds and stitch like mad. Decisions decisions.
Denise

16 comments:

Blu Stitcher said...

Great solution to fix your problem, I have done that a few times now.

Michele said...

sorry about being off on your new project :( Hope it goes well!

Love your new frame :)

Parsley said...

I threw away my lastest project that I misjudged fabric space on!

natalyK said...

Beautiful frame for your finish. I have never added muslin but I do know that it is done quite frequently. You could always hemstitch it and turn it into a bell pull or wall hanging.

Vicki said...

I came out short on a long, narrow piece I stitched. My solution? Instead of giving it to a friend, I framed it for myself. It's not even, so I place it up high where it can't be easily seen, or place a complimenting piece in front of it on the wide side. It works for me!

Pumpkin said...

Oh dear :oS I've only been off once and that was with Stargazer. And the only reason I was off was because the pattern was not centered correctly. LUCKILY it came out okay. Adding the muslin will work just fine :o)

FANTASTIC Denise! I guess you DID read the newsletter. LOL! Can't go wrong with a frame for that price :o)

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

OR,,, YOU COULD GET THOSE PAPERS SENT OUT!
You my friend are not the first one to start a project to far down or over, remember the hot air balloons that I just fixed? you got it kiddo so the muslin at the bottom will be fine and it looks like you could get at least 1/2" top/bottom/&sides so you'll be . Maybe with a matt too.
Love that Wally World frame too.
Be always in stitches.

Mouse said...

ohh dear ..... hope you get it fixed somehow .... and mmmm dandelion fabric not seen .... take care love mouse xxxx

Shari said...

I have done that same thing before....so frustrating!!!
Your framed piece looks great!!! Sometimes, the store bought ones are so much easier than waiting for our hubbies, aren't they?!?!

Lesleyanne said...

Great framing. Sounds like you have a solution to your border problem.

Teresa said...

If misery loves company your in good. I have done that myself and readjusted the pattern.
I too have also looked for the cents sign, missing on my computer too!
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

Crystal said...

Sorry about your borders not lining up right, but glad you found a solution. Great deal on your frames.

rosek1870 said...

I have done that any number of times as I tend to do the outside first!

paula said...

Did you start at the middle and work your way around or did you start at the top?

I can honestly say I have never ended up with too little material on a side.

Lots of time I would do a running stitch to mark the middle and then count from there to either the top or bottom to start.

The WORST, well, scariest would be better, design I eve did were the birth samplers I designed for my nieces and nephews. The border was a scroll and I bought a GINORMOUS piece of hardanger . . .measured in 3" from the top left and gig running stitches every 10 stitches to match my graph . . . I knew if I didn't do this i wouldn't match . . . and I am SO GLAD I did . . . specially when I ended up having to make 4 and each one was a slightky different size :0{

paula said...

I was going to email this to you, and left yahoo before I got it done.

I was doing a great job, genealogically, with all of the free stuff . . . and Google. Then, the husband started and when he came o a stumbling block, he broke down and bought a subscription to Ancestry. That has been fun.

One of my FAVORITE sites is GenForum.com. You can find a forum for almost every surname, city, county, state and country
there is. This is where I made contact with the gentleman from Scotland who searched and found all of my info on my maternal great grandfather (aternal grandmother's grandfather) . . the Scottish Immigrant to the US.

Just lately, I have found info on my maternal great grandmother (my maternal grandfather's mom) through the Michigan Forum in GenForum. I have now found out that she was married twice before she married my grandfather's dad. It looks like she had a couple of other children so I must see if I can find if they survived childhood . . . because I NEVER heard of them.

Also, Family Search.org (no spaces) is very good. This is the site of the Latter Day Saints who do SO MUCH family searching.

mdgtjulie said...

Grats on getting the finish finished! That frame looks great! Can't wait to see what you find for DD. I'll bet it will be pretty, whatever it is.